Founder of the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa, pioneer social worker
1818-1876; arrived in Ottawa in 1845.
Born at L’Assomption, Quebec.
Opened the first general hospital in Bytown (Ottawa) and the first bilingual school in Ontario.
Founded an orphanage, several schools, a boarding house and a college in Bytown.
Her community, so closely linked to Ottawa’s religious and civic history, continued to grow until it was active not only in Ontario but also in the USA, Africa, Brazil, Haïti, Japan and Papua-New Guinea.
In 1978, a request for her canonization was presented to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.